• Supports unframed serial streams up to 10 Mb/s per T1/E1 or DSL link
• Single chip ATM IMA & TC processor
• Versatile TDM interface for most popular T1 or E1 framers and DSL chipsets
• Up to 6 MT90222/3/4 devices can be spanned using a TDM ring supporting 32 links
• Provides 8 & 16-bit UTOPIA Level 1 & 2 compatible MPHY Interface (MT90222/3/4 slaved to ATM device)
• 16-bit microprocessor interface for Intel or Motorola
• JTAG test support
• 2.5 V core, 3.3 V I/O with 5 V tolerant inputs
• 384 pin PGBA with 1.0 mm pitch balls
www.D•ataMShTe9e0t42U2.2c,omMT90223 & MT90224 share the same product package and pin-out configuration
Provides cost effective solutions to implement IMA and/or TC functions over T1, E1, J1 or DSL transport facilities in
broadband access networks. Typical applications are for trunking or subscriber access in:
• Integrated multi-service access platforms
• Access multiplexers
• Next-generation DLC
• Wireless local loop
• 3G wireless base-stations
The MT90222, MT90223 and MT90224 form a family of similar devices, differing mainly in the maximum number of
serial links, and are collectively referred to as MT90222/3/4. It should be noted throughout this document whenever
reference is made to the number of serial links that the MT90224 offers a maximum of 16 serial links (links 15:0),
while the MT90223 offers a maximum of 8 serial links (links 14,12,10,8,6,4,2 and 0), and the MT90222 offers a
maximum of 4 serial links (links 12, 8, 4 and 0). Pin and register compatibility has been maintained to offer
Note: When creating IMA groups for MT90222 the groups 0, 1, 2 and 3 should be used.
The MT90222/3/4 device is targeted to systems implementing the ATM FORUM Inverse Multiplexing for ATM (IMA
version 1.1 and 1.0) or UNI specifications for T1/E1 rates. In the MT90222/3/4 architecture, up to 16 physical and
independent serial links can be terminated through the utilization of off-the-shelf, traditional T1/E1/J1 framers/LIUs
and DSL chip sets. The MT90222/3/4 device can also provide up to 10 Mb/s per link data rates for unframed serial
TDM transmissions for xDSL applications.
The MT90222/3/4 device provides ATM system designers with a flexible architecture when implementing ATM
access over existing trunk interfaces, allowing a migration towards ATM service technology. In addition to the
design of ATM UNI specifications for T1/E1 rates, the MT90222/3/4 device is compliant with the ATM FORUM IMA
specifications for controlling IMA groups of up to 16 trunks in a single chip. The MT90222/3/4 can be configured to
operate in different modes to facilitate the implementation of the IMA function at both CPE and Central Office sites.
For systems targeting ATM over T1/E1 with IMA and TC operating simultaneously, the MT90222/3/4 device
provides the ideal architecture and capabilities.
Zarlink Semiconductor Inc.