Document Number: MC33880
Rev. 5.0, 6/2007
Configurable Octal Serial Switch
with Serial Peripheral Interface
The 33880 device is an eight-output hardware-configurable high-
side/low-side switch with 8-bit serial input control. Two of the outputs
can be controlled directly via microcontroller for Pulse Width
Modulation (PWM) applications.
The 33880 controls various inductive or incandescent loads by
directly interfacing with a microcontroller.
The circuit's innovative monitoring and protection features include
very low standby currents, “cascadable” fault reporting, internal 40 V
output clamping for low-side configurations, internal -20 V output
clamping for high-side configurations, output-specific diagnostics, and
independent shutdown of outputs.
• Designed to Operate 5.5 V < VPWR < 24.5 V
• 8-Bit SPI for Control and Fault Reporting, 3.3 V/5.0 V Compatible
• Outputs Are Current Limited (0.8 A to 2.0 A) to Drive
• Output Voltage Clamp Is +45 V (Typical) (Low-Side Drive) and -
20 V (Typical) (High-Side Drive) During Inductive Switching
• Internal Reverse Battery Protection on VPWR
• Loss of Ground or Supply Will Not Energize Loads or Damage IC
• Maximum 5.0 µA IPWR Standby Current at 13 V VPWR up to 95°C
• RDS(ON) of 0.55 Ω at 25°C Typical
• Short Circuit Detect and Current Limit with Automatic Retry
• Independent Overtemperature Protection
• 32-Pin SOICW Has Pins 8, 9, 24, and 25 Grounded for Thermal
• Pb-Free Packaging Designated by Suffix Code EG and EW
EG SUFFIX (PB-FREE)
EW SUFFIX (PB-FREE)
-40°C to 125°C
V PWR 33880
All Output Switches are High- or Low-Side Configurable
Figure 1. 33880 Simplified Application Diagram
* This document contains certain information on a new product.
Specifications and information herein are subject to change without notice.
© Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., 2007. All rights reserved.