Document Number: MC33889
Rev. 11.0, 12/2006
System Basis Chip with Low
Speed Fault Tolerant CAN
An SBC device is a monolithic IC combining many functions
repeatedly found in standard microcontroller-based systems, e.g.,
protection, diagnostics, communication, power, etc. The 33889 is an
SBC having fully protected, fixed 5.0 V low drop-out regulator, with
current limit, over-temperature pre-warning and reset.
An output drive with sense input is also provided to implement a
second 5.0 V regulator using an external PNP. The 33889 has Normal,
Standby, Stop and Sleep modes; an internally switched high-side
power supply output with two wake-up inputs; programmable timeout
or window watchdog, Interrupt, Reset, SPI input control, and a low-
speed fault tolerant CAN transceiver, compatible with CAN 2.0 A and
B protocols for module-to-module communications. The combination
is an economical solution for power management, high-speed
communication, and control in MCU-based systems.
• VDD1: 5.0 V low drop voltage regulator, current limitation,
overtemperature detection, monitoring and reset function with total
current capability 200 mA
• V2: tracking function of VDD1 regulator; control circuitry for external
bipolar ballast transistor for high flexibility in choice of peripheral
voltage and current supply
• Four operational modes
• Low standby current consumption in Stop and Sleep modes
• Built-in low speed 125 kbps fault tolerant CAN physical interface.
• External high voltage wake-up input, associated with HS1 VBAT
• 150 mA output current capability for HS1 VBAT switch allowing
drive of external switches pull-up resistors or relays
• Pb-Free Packaging Designated by Suffix Code EG
SYSTEM BASIS CHIP
EG SUFFIX (PB-FREE)
-40°C to 125°C
*Recommended for new designs
Local Module Supply
Figure 1. 33889 Simplified Application Diagram
Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. reserves the right to change the detail specifications, as
may be required, to permit improvements in the design of its products.
© Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., 2006. All rights reserved.