NDORaTEtCRaOESMChOMeMeEtNMDEENDIDCERLD3E2PF3LO7AERCNEEMWENDOTEcPStAIoGRbNeTSr 21, 2005
1 Microamp Supply-Current, +3V to +5.5V,
1Mbps, RS-232 Transmitters/Receivers
The Intersil ICL3237 contains 3.0V to 5.5V powered RS-232
transmitters/receivers which meet ElA/TIA-232 and
V.28/V.24 specifications, even at VCC = 3.0V. Targeted
applications are cell phones, PDAs, Palmtops, and notebook
and laptop computers where the low operational, and even
lower standby, power consumption is critical. Efficient on-
chip charge pumps, coupled with manual powerdown
function, reduce the standby supply current to a 1A trickle.
Small footprint packaging, and the use of small, low value
capacitors ensure board space savings as well. Data rates
greater than 1Mbps (MBAUD = VCC) are guaranteed at
worst case load conditions. This family is fully compatible
with 3.3V only systems, mixed 3.3V and 5.0V systems, and
5.0V only systems.
The ICL3237 is a 5 driver, 3 receiver device that also
includes a noninverting always-active receiver for “wake-up”
Table 1 summarizes the features of the device represented
by this data sheet, while Application Note AN9863
summarizes the features of each device comprising the
ICL32XX 3V family.
• 15kV ESD Protected (Human Body Model)
• Drop in Replacement for MAX3237
• Meets EIA/TIA-232 and V.28/V.24 Specifications at 3V
• Latch-Up Free
• On-Chip Voltage Converters Require Only Four External
• Manual Powerdown Features
• Flow Through Pinout
• Receiver Hysteresis For Improved Noise Immunity
• Pin Selectable Data Rate
• Guaranteed Minimum Data Rate . . . . . . . 250kbps/1Mbps
• Guaranteed Minimum Slew Rate . . . . . . . 6V/s or 24V/s
• Wide Power Supply Range . . . . . . . Single +3V to +5.5V
• Low Supply Current in Powerdown State. . . . . . . . . . .1A
• Pb-Free Plus Anneal Available (RoHS Compliant)
• Any System Requiring RS-232 Communication Ports
- Battery Powered, Hand-Held, and Portable Equipment
- Laptop Computers, Notebooks, Palmtops
- Modems, Printers and other Peripherals
- Digital Cameras
- Cellular/Mobile Phone
• Technical Brief TB363 “Guidelines for Handling and
Processing Moisture Sensitive Surface Mount Devices
• AN9863 “3V to +5.5V, 250k-1Mbps, RS-232
TABLE 1. SUMMARY OF FEATURES
NO. OF NO. OF
1. Data rate is selectable via the MBAUD pin.
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright © Intersil Americas Inc. 2001-2002, 2004-2005. All Rights Reserved
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.