A Product Line of
SINGLE PHASE FULL WAVE PWM MOTOR DRIVER
The AM4961A is highly integrated feature rich single phase Brushless
Direct Current (BLDC) full wave motor driver with PWM control
function for fans, blowers and extractors.
For system flexibility the motor speed can be controlled by either an
external PWM signal or by a DC voltage or from a Thermistor
network. Based on the input signal, the AM4961A adjust the output
To help protect the motor coil, the AM4961A provides a rotor lock
protection which shuts down the output if rotor lock is detected. The
device automatically re-starts when the rotor lock is removed.
To help interface to external system for monitoring the motor status
and speed, AM4961A provides open drain Rotor lock detect alarm
output (RD) pin and a tachometer output Frequency Generator (FG).
The FG output is the magnetic change frequency.
The AM4961A is available in SSOP-16 and HTSSOP-14 packages.
• Operating voltage : 3.5V to 16V
• Internal H-Bridge with 1A Peak Current Capability
• Speed Control with external PWM, DC or Thermistor signals
• Minimal Speed Setting
• Built-in Hall Bias Circuit
• Reference Voltage Output
• Rotor Lock Protection with Output Shutdown and Auto Restart
• Rotation Speed Indication (FG)
• Rotation or Lock State Indication (RD)
• Built-in Thermal Shutdown Circuit
• Industry standard SSOP-16 and Thermally Enhanced
• Totally Lead-Free & Fully RoHS Compliant (Notes 1 & 2)
• Halogen and Antimony Free. “Green” Device (Note 3)
SSOP-16 (GS Package)
HTSSOP-14 (GH Package)
• 12V BLDC Cooling Fans, Motors, Extractors and Blowers
• CPU Cooler Fan in PC
• Instrumentation and Equipment Cooling fans
• Brushless DC Motor Driver
1. No purposely added lead. Fully EU Directive 2002/95/EC (RoHS) & 2011/65/EU (RoHS 2) compliant.
2. See http://www.diodes.com/quality/lead_free.html for more information about Diodes Incorporated’s definitions of Halogen- and Antimony-free, "Green"
3. Halogen- and Antimony-free "Green” products are defined as those which contain <900ppm bromine, <900ppm chlorine (<1500ppm total Br + Cl) and
<1000ppm antimony compounds.
Document number: DS36626 Rev. 1 - 2
1 of 17
© Diodes Incorporated