January 3, 2006
Li-ion/Li Polymer Battery Charger
The ISL9203R5220 is an integrated single-cell Li-ion or
Li-polymer battery charger capable of operating with an input
voltage as low as 2.4V. This charger is designed to work with
various types of AC adapters.
The ISL9203R5220 operates as a linear charger when the
AC adapter is a voltage source. The battery is charged in a
CC/CV (constant current/constant voltage) profile. The
charge current is programmable with an external resistor up
to 1.5A. The ISL9203R5220 can also work with a current-
limited adapter to minimize the thermal dissipation, in which
case the ISL9203R5220 combines the benefits of both a
linear charger and a pulse charger.
The ISL9203R5220 features charge current thermal
foldback to guarantee safe operation when the printed circuit
board is space limited for thermal dissipation. Additional
features include preconditioning of an over-discharged
battery and thermally enhanced DFN package.
• Complete Charger for Single-Cell Li-ion Batteries
• Very Low Thermal Dissipation
• Integrated Pass Element and Current Sensor
• No External Blocking Diode Required
• 1% Voltage Accuracy
• Programmable Current Limit up to 1.5A
• Charge Current Thermal Foldback
• Accepts Multiple Types of Adapters
• Guaranteed operation down to VIN = 2.65V after start up
• Ambient Temperature Range: -20°C to 70°C
• Thermally-Enhanced DFN Packages
• Pb-Free Plus Anneal Available (RoHS Compliant)
Typical Application Circuit
• Handheld Devices including Medical Handhelds
• PDAs, Cell Phones and Smart Phones
• Portable Instruments, MP3 Players
• Self-Charging Battery Packs
• Stand-Alone Chargers
• USB Bus-Powered Chargers
• Technical Brief TB363 “Guidelines for Handling and
Processing Moisture Sensitive Surface Mount Devices
• Technical Brief TB379 “Thermal Characterization of
Packaged Semiconductor Devices”
• Technical Brief TB389 “PCB Land Pattern Design and
Surface Mount Guidelines for QFN Packages”
MARKING RANGE (°C) (Pb-free) DWG. #
-20 to 70 10 Ld 3x3 DFN L10.3x3
10 Ld 3x3 DFN Tape and Reel
NOTE: Intersil Pb-free plus anneal products employ special Pb-free material
sets; molding compounds/die attach materials and 100% matte tin plate
termination finish, which are RoHS compliant and compatible with both SnPb
and Pb-free soldering operations. Intersil Pb-free products are MSL
classified at Pb-free peak reflow temperatures that meet or exceed the
Pb-free requirements of IPC/JEDEC J STD-020.
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright © Intersil Americas Inc. 2005, 2006. All Rights Reserved.
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.