March 9, 2006
6-Phase PWM Controller with 8 Bit VID
Code Capable of Precision RDS(ON) or
DCR Differential Current
The ISL6307 controls microprocessor core voltage regulation
by driving up to 6 synchronous-rectified buck channels in
parallel. Multiphase buck converter architecture uses
interleaved timing to multiply channel ripple frequency and
reduce input and output ripple currents. Lower ripple results in
fewer components, lower component cost, reduced power
dissipation, and smaller implementation area.
Microprocessor loads can generate load transients with
extremely fast edge rates. The ISL6307 features a high
bandwidth control loop and ripple frequencies up to 6MHz to
provide optimal response to the transients.
Today’s microprocessors require a tightly regulated output
voltage position versus load current (droop). The ISL6307
senses current by utilizing patented techniques to measure
the voltage across the on resistance, RDS(ON), of the lower
MOSFETs or DCR, of the output inductor during the lower
MOSFET conduction intervals. Current sensing provides the
needed signals for precision droop, channel-current
balancing, and overcurrent protection. A programmable
internal temperature compensation function is implemented
to effectively compensate for the temperature coefficient of
the current sense element.
A unity gain, differential amplifier is provided for remote
voltage sensing. Any potential difference between remote
and local grounds can be completely eliminated using the
remote-sense amplifier. Eliminating ground differences
improves regulation and protection accuracy. The threshold-
sensitive enable input is available to accurately coordinate
the start up of the ISL6307 with any other voltage rail.
Dynamic-VID™ technology allows seamless on-the-fly VID
changes. The offset pin allows accurate voltage offset
settings that are independent of VID setting.
0 to 70
48 Ld 7x7 QFN L48.7x7
-40 to 85 48 Ld 7x7 QFN L48.7x7
*Add “-T” suffix to part number for tape and reel packaging.
NOTE: Intersil Pb-free plus anneal products employ special Pb-free material
sets; molding compounds/die attach materials and 100% matte tin plate
termination finish, which are RoHS compliant and compatible with both SnPb
and Pb-free soldering operations. Intersil Pb-free products are MSL classified
at Pb-free peak reflow temperatures that meet or exceed the Pb-free
requirements of IPC/JEDEC J STD-020.
• Precision Multiphase Core Voltage Regulation
- Differential Remote Voltage Sensing
- ±0.5% System Accuracy Over Life, Load, Line and
- Adjustable Precision Reference-Voltage Offset
• Precision RDS(ON) or DCR Current Sensing
- Accurate Load-Line Programming
- Accurate Channel-Current Balancing
- Differential Current Sense
• Microprocessor Voltage Identification Input
- Dynamic VID™ Technology
- 8-Bit VID Input with Selectable VR11 Code and
Extended VR10 Code at 6.25mV Step
- 0.5V to 1.600V operation range
• Threshold-Sensitive Enable Function for Power
Sequencing and VTT Enable
• Thermal Monitoring
• Programmable Temperature Compensation
• Overcurrent Protection
• Overvoltage Protection with OVP Output Indication
• 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 Phase Operation
• Adjustable Switching Frequency up to 1MHz per Phase
• QFN Package Option
- QFN Compliant to JEDEC PUB95 MO-220 QFN - Quad
Flat No Leads - Product Outline
- QFN Near Chip Scale Package Footprint; Improves
PCB Efficiency, Thinner in Profile
• Pb-Free Plus Anneal Available (RoHS Compliant)
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Dynamic VID™ is a trademark of Intersil Americas Inc. Copyright © Intersil Americas Inc. 2006. All Rights Reserved
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.