±15kV ESD Protected, +3V to +5.5V, 10nA,
250kbps, RS-232 Transceiver with
Enhanced Automatic Powerdown
The Intersil ICL3238E contains 3.0V to 5.5V powered
RS-232 transmitters/receivers which meet ElA/TIA-232 and
V.28/V.24 specifications, even at VCC = 3.0V. Additionally, it
provides ±15kV ESD protection (IEC61000-4-2 Air Gap and
Human Body Model) on transmitter outputs and receiver
inputs (RS-232 pins). Targeted applications are cell phones,
Palmtops, and data cables where the low operational, and
even lower standby, power consumption is critical. Efficient
on-chip charge pumps, coupled with manual and enhanced
automatic powerdown functions, reduce the standby supply
current to a 10nA trickle. Small footprint packaging, and the
use of small, low value capacitors ensure board space
savings as well. Data rates greater than 250kbps are
guaranteed at worst case load conditions providing
compatibility with popular PC communication software.
The ICL3238E is a 5 driver, 3 receiver device optimized for
DCE applications with full hardware handshaking. It also
includes a noninverting always-active receiver for RING
This device, features an enhanced automatic powerdown
function which powers down the on-chip power-supply and
driver circuits. This occurs when all receiver and transmitter
inputs detect no signal transitions for a period of 30s. The
ICL3238E powers back up, automatically, whenever it
senses a transition on any transmitter or receiver input.
The transmitter and logic inputs include active feedback
resistors that retain the input state once driven to a valid
• Pb-Free Available as an Option (see Ordering Info)
• ESD Protection for RS-232 I/O Pins to ±15kV (IEC61000)
• Active Feedback Resistors on TX and Logic Inputs.
• Manual and Enhanced Automatic Powerdown Features
• Pin Compatible Replacement for MAX3238E, MAX3238,
• Meets EIA/TIA-232 and V.28/V.24 Specifications at 3V
• RS-232 Compatible Outputs at 2.7V Supply
• Flow Through Pinout
• Latch-Up Free
• On-Chip Voltage Converters Require Only Four External
• Receiver and Transmitter Hysteresis For Improved Noise
• Guaranteed Minimum Data Rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . 250kbps
• Guaranteed Minimum Slew Rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6V/µs
• Wide Power Supply Range . . . . . . . Single +3V to +5.5V
• Low Supply Current in Powerdown State. . . . . . . . . 10nA
• Any System Requiring RS-232 Communication Ports
- Battery Powered, Hand-Held, and Portable Equipment
- Data Cradles
- Modems, Printers and other Peripherals
- Cellular/Mobile Phones, Data Cables
Table 1 summarizes the features of the ICL3238E, while
Application Note AN9863 summarizes the features of each
device comprising the ICL32XXE 3V family.
TABLE 1. SUMMARY OF FEATURES
NO. OF NO. OF
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 321-724-7143 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright Intersil Americas Inc. 2003, 2004. All Rights Reserved
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.