Gauge Driver Integrated Circuit
This 33991 is a single packaged, Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI)
controlled, dual stepper motor gauge driver Integrated Circuit (IC).
This monolithic IC consists of four dual output H-Bridge coil drivers
and the associated control logic. Each pair of H-Bridge drivers is used
to automatically control the speed, direction and magnitude of current
through the two coils of a two-phase instrumentation stepper motor,
similar to an MMT licensed AFIC 6405.
This device is ideal for use in automotive instrumentation systems
requiring distributed and flexible stepper motor gauge driving. The
device also eases the transition to stepper motors from air core
motors by emulating the air core pointer movement with little
additional processor bandwidth utilization.
The device has many attractive features including:
• MMT-Licensed Two-Phase Stepper Motor Compatible
• Minimal Processor Overhead Required
• Fully Integrated Pointer Movement and Position State Machine
with Air Core Movement Emulation
• 4096 Possible Steady State Pointer Positions
• 340° Maximum Pointer Sweep
• Linear 4500° 2
• Maximum Pointer Velocity of 400°
• Analog Microstepping (12 Steps/Degree of Pointer Movement)
• Pointer Calibration and Return to Zero
• SPI Controlled 16-Bit Word
• Calibratable Internal Clock
• Low Sleep Mode Current
• Pb-Free Packaging Designated by Suffix Code EG
Document Number: MC33991
Rev. 2.0, 11/2006
GAUGE DRIVER INTEGRATED CIRCUIT
EG SUFFIX (PB-FREE)
-40 to 125°C
Figure 1. 33991 Simplified Application Diagram
Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. reserves the right to change the detail specifications,
as may be required, to permit improvements in the design of its products.
© Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., 2006. All rights reserved.